Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Twincredible Miracles

...... before I really start this post, I have to just say how creative I'm feeling this morning with that title..... ;)

Our crazy last month started June 21 when I called in sick to work because I was feeling sick. I started having contractions 10 minutes apart that morning and bleeding. I called the doctor who told me to go directly to labor and delivery at Logan Regional Hospital because bleeding and contractions that close together were not a good thing at just barely 24 weeks.

They put me on some monitors and drugs to stop the contractions. By the time the doctor came in to see me, I was dilated to a 4 and they decided to fly me to McKay-Dee Hospital in Ogden. If the babies came, they wanted them to be at a NICU that could handle them.

I got my first helicopter ride that day. Justin sent me off at Logan, and my mom (who had been in Provo luckily) met me in Ogden while Justin had to drive down. They stopped my labor, pumped me full of drugs that would help the babies survive if they came, and told me I would be spending lots of quality time in Ogden, in my hospital room, in bed. So I hunkered down for the next couple of days expecting a very long stay.

Friday morning at my 2 AM check, I started having contractions again. The second medicine they had put me on to keep labor at bay was not working as well as the first. The contractions kept coming and kept getting more painful, so they transferred me back over to labor and delivery to keep a closer watch on me. This went on for about 12 more hours until I had a placental abruption and they took me back for an emergency c-section.

Within 20 minutes I was on the table and they were delivering the babies. Each baby was met by a neonatologist and a team of 4 nurses. They cleaned them up, intubated them and got them attached to all of the monitors and IVs that they would need. After they finished my C-section and wheeled me to recovery, they took Justin to meet our little cuties.
Addison grabbed his finger so hard that her little knuckles turned white. They were both stable and very tiny. They were both 13.5 in. Weston was born first at 1 lb 11 oz and then Addison at 1 lb 10 oz. After about an hour in recovery, they let me go see them before they took me back up to my room.


I went back to my room to recover. Saturday, the babies stayed stable and the nurses continued to find the right mix of antibiotics, oxygen and IVs to help my little babies survive in the outside world.

Sunday my babies got their first priesthood blessing from their dad and both of their grandpas. They continued to to better throughout that whole evening. Addison's main IV or pic line was finally able to be put in.

Monday flew by as a blur as we spent the day in the NICU and waited to see their head ultrasounds to look for brain bleeds. Their scans came back clear and would be repeated when they were a week old.

Tuesday I was supposed to be released from the hospital the Neonatologist came to see me in my room that morning and told me that Addison was going to need a heart surgery to be able to help her grow and heal better. I called Justin and he rushed over to give his daughter a priesthood blessing before she went back for her heart surgery. While they had Addison in the operating room, they decided that Weston needed the surgery as well and they took him for his operation when they brought Addison back. Both surgeries went well, and we were very thankful for the wonderful heart surgeon and his ability to operate so successfully on hearts that small.

Wednesday started our daily treks to Ogden. We have been going every day and watching our children fight and do so well for preemies their age.

Thursday they took them both of the ventilators and let them try to breathe on their own with just oxygen blowing into their noses. Addison did so well and has not had to go back on yet. Weston was able to make it for three hours before his lungs got tired and they put him back on. He was able to come off the next week again, and has been doing well ever since.

Friday they repeated their brain scans and they both came back clear. This was a huge relief for Justin and I. Brain bleeds are one of the most worrisome things that can happen to preemies, and our babies had not had any in their first week which is when 90% of them happen.


Every day we go down to Ogden we are so grateful for the wonderful nurses and doctors who are caring for our little ones. We are so grateful for all of the prayers from our friends and family who are thinking of us and praying for us constantly. We have definitely felt the thoughts and prayers and it has been an incredible blessing in our lives.


Addison in her 4th of July bow.

Weston being so darn adorable. He totally has me wrapped around his finger!

Addison and her pink bow:)

Weston snuggling up to Justin

Addison with her brown and polka dotted bows... (I love that they do this in the NICU)

I am so thankful for my little ones. I love them more than I would have ever thought was possible. They are little miracles who continue to teach me every day that life is so precious and it is amazing what a little bit of love and a lot of prayer can do. I am thankful for my Heavenly Father who has helped me stay calm and brave through this trial. I've been through hard physical trials that He has helped me through, and now I'm learning that He can do the same through emotional trials. I am thankful for prayer and how wonderful it is to be able to communicate with Heavenly Father. And last but not least, I am so thankful for Eternal Families and the opportunity that I have to be with Justin, Weston and Addison forever.

4 comments:

Summer Carlile said...

They are so darling and little. I am so glad that they are doing well. I have kept you in my prayers.

Moscow Monson's said...

I LOVE the name of this post! Hooray for those fighters!

Diana and Derek said...

Thank you so much for the update. We have not wanted to call and bother you. We have been bothering your mom. We are keeping them in our prayers. We love you guys! Yes, I agree, the name is very creative.

Anna said...

Jackie, You don't know me but I was a friend of Justins way back when. I just wanted to say that my prayers are with you! News travels fast through the Spokane crowd and when I heard that your babies came that early I started to cry. I am so glad to hear that everyone is doing so well! You are so positive and that is wonderful to hear. Best of luck.